Teaching your dog: Come when Called
Featuring: Ahsoka (our 10-week-old Lab mix puppy).
Come when Called:
1. Always have a leash (or fenced-in area).
2. When you say come, you have to see it happen.
3. NEVER punish a dog for coming to you.
- Say the dog’s name, and Come. ONE TIME ONLY.
- Have a party.
- Lure the dog back to you.
When first teaching a dog Come when called, we start with step 1 & 3. Standing directly in front of the dog (No distance), put the treat in the dog’s nose, say the dog’s name and Come (one time), then quickly back up a few steps. When the dog follows, stop, say “Good!” and give the treat.