Friday, September 5, 2014

Movies with Dogs--Honorable Mentions

In my previous post a wrote about what I consider some of the Best & Worst Movies that have dogs in them.  Keep in mind this is my personal opinions on these movies.  Below are some movies not included in the list that I feel deserved an Honorable Mention.  These movies may not be among my top favorites, but are definitely worth a watch if you love dogs.

Movies with Dogs... Honorable Mentions:

The Wizard of Oz (1939)
IMDb Description:  "Dorothy Gale is swept away to a magical land in a tornado and embarks on a quest to see the Wizard who can help her return home."
An older movie, but a must watch.  Every child ever born since 1939 should have seen this movie.  Although not included on my original list, this one definitely deserves a mention.  A great story that we all know, its worth watching over and over.  Everyone knows...there's no place like home!





White Fang (1991)
IMDb Description:  "Jack London's classic adventure story about the friendship developed between a Yukon gold hunter and the mixed dog-wolf he rescues from the hands of a man who mistreats him."
This movie became one of my favorites when it was first released.  After seeing this movie, I fell in love with the Alaskan Malamute and begged my parents for one.  After several months of begging, my neighbor friend down the street happened to have a dog that had puppies, so I started to beg for one of those dogs instead.  It took some time to wear them down, but eventually my parents gave in.  I got my first dog because of this movie.  And get this, I named him Fang.



Scooby Doo (2002)
IMDb Description:  "After an acrimonious break up, the Mystery Inc. gang are individually brought to an island resort to investigate strange goings on."
This movie is definitely intended for more younger audiences, but I would say it is totally worth a watch.  Based off the silly Scooby Doo cartoons from my childhood, now the adventures come to the big screen (well depending on your TV size).  Very silly, but I found the movie to be pretty descent overall.  With lots of laughs from the Scooby Doo gang, its sure to entertain.  Not worth a buy, but I would add it to your Netflix cue.




Eight Below (2006)
IMDb Description:  "Brutal cold forces two Antarctic explorers to leave their team of sled dogs behind as they fend for their survival."
I had not yet seen this movie, so while writing this blog, I decided to rent it.  (Ha ha I get to watch a movie and call it research for work.)  The beginning is very suspenseful and exciting; I enjoyed it.  As the story moves on it becomes very, very sad.  But this tear-jerking movie has some amazingly well-trained dogs.  Although it made me cry several different times, I'd say it is worth a watch.  Great pack of dogs.  Seeing this amazing dog pack makes me wish I was closer to owning more than just my two current dogs.  (One day SGDs will have a much larger pack of its own.)



Marmaduke (2010)
IMDb Description:  "A suburban family moves to a new neighborhood with their large yet lovable Great Dane, who has a tendency to wreak havoc in his own oblivious way."
Talking and dancing dogs and slap-stick comedy.  Although I'm not big on the "look how funny this bad dog behavior is" theme, I think this is an enjoyable flick for most.  I do love a big Great Dane!


Hotel for Dogs (2009)
IMDb Description:  "Two kids secretly take in stray dogs at a vacant hotel."
This movie is definitely for kids.  A group of 5 friends decide to help take in strays by putting them in an abandoned hotel and sprucing it up, dog style.  Well trained dog in this movie, for sure, but definitely a movie for kids.








No comments:

Post a Comment